Monday, February 1, 2010

The Value of a Penny

"Dad, dad, look what I found!" As I look, I could see Spencer, my 7 and a half year old son, rummaging through the creases of the overstuffed chair in our living room. "What could he of found?” I pondered -- (a long lost hot wheel, some stale popcorn, a broken pencil). "Look dad", he said again as he extended his hand toward me. It was a dirt covered penny. Admittedly, I did not feel the same excitement. "Dad, can I have it?” he asked with a sense of great expectation. "Sure Spence", I said with a feeling of generosity in my heart.

"Great dad, I want you to take it to Haiti and give it to someone in need.” he said as he placed the penny in my hand. Wow ... now I was humbled.

When I depart I will take that penny and hundreds of dollars that other generous people have given, and use it so that others can see the love of Jesus demonstrated through acts of compassion. My passion is that those in need will sense the love of Jesus with every bottle of water or meal given.  Why is this important that we represent Christ well? -- because he is "... the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6b).

Spencer's heart to give reminds us that every gift, resource and talent no matter how small, can be used to glorify God ... even a penny.

1 comment:

Amber Staublin said...

Thanks for sharing!!! I love your emails.

I hope to see you in church soon!!

I really miss everyone!!!

Amber Staublin