Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Haiti - Day 9

Today, I spent time in the medical clinic and ward.  Teeseen, a 13 year old girl with pins holding her right leg together was in the ward.  She had a beautiful smile that peered up at me from her make-shift hospital bed.  We laughed as we looked at pictures of my kids.  At the end of our visit, I prayed for her.  Even though we could not speak each other's language, she understood that I was asking God to touch her.  My entire time visiting patients in the ward was awesome.

Later, I went  to the less than ideal, under supplied medical clinic / ER / OR.  During my time there, I had the opportunity to observe two surgeries.  First, a man with a broken arm that had healed incorrectly.  The doctors really had to pull hard on the bones to get them back into place.  Second, a paraplegic with bed sores that went all the way to the bone on three parts of his lower body.  The surgeon said he would of died within a couple of days if they had not operated on him to get all the dead infected muscle out.  His chances of survival are not high, but his chance at eternity is wide open.  After the surgery, the doctors, medical staff, about eight of his family, and myself gathered around him and prayed for God to minister to him.  It was a powerful moment.

We start our two day journey home tomorrow.  Our trip takes us from Port-au-Prince to Santo Domingo to Orlando to Indianapolis.  I am really going to miss ministering in Haiti, but I am looking forward to coming home to be with all of you.  Thank you again to all you have prayed and given to make this powerful, anointed opportunity occur. 

1 comment:

Pat Plummer said...

Lord, thank You for keeping Pastor Carl safe and free from disease. Grow the seeds of hope that he has planted in the lives of others. Continue Your work of increasing Your kingdom. Comfort those who mourn, and encourage us to give to care for and feed those who are down-trodden in their hearts and hungry in their bodies. Thank You, Jesus. Amen.