Friday, January 29, 2010

Stinky Feet

"What's that smell," I wondered.  A quick look around my bedroom did not produce any obvious objects of odor.  Then, I realized; it was my shoes.  The stench of my sweaty feet had permeated the inner fabric of my footwear.  "Whew!"  Jesus, as well, had an experience with stinky feet at a dinner with his disciples; "he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. 5After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him. (John 13:3-4)

Jesus, their Lord and teacher, took time to wash these sandal wearing, dust covered, nasty feet of twelve grown men.  Why?  Jesus explains, "I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them." (John 13:15-17)

Jesus demonstrated for us that loving and serving one another is a key to a blessed life.  Jesus seals the deal when he states, "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." (John 13:34-35)

Lord, help us to show our love for you by loving and serving others -- even if we must take care of someone's stinky feet. 

No comments: