Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Ice Cream


I just could not get enough. My mouth enjoyed every bite of the heaping bowl of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream that my wife so generously prepared for me. With each cool, sugar-filled bite I wanted more. It is a craving that has been with me for years.

Later that night, as I cracked open the Bible and began to read Proverbs, I was reminded that God desires us to crave for him and his word. He instructs us to "accept... store up... turn our ear toward... apply... call out for... cry aloud for... look... and search for his words and commands. (excerpts of Proverbs 2:1-4). In other words, crave and passionately pursue him and his wisdom for our daily lives.

Our pursuit of God produces rewards that include deeper understanding of God, clearer thinking, and wiser decision making. Proverbs 2:6, "... the Lord gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding". God's offers his wisdom to us ... it is there for the taking.

I really enjoyed that bowl of cookie dough ice cream. It satisfied my tastebuds. However, it is only God that truly satisfies my spirit. The more I learn from God's word, the Bible, the more I want. I just can not get enough.

No comments: