Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Opportunity


Our local YMCA was full of activity last night with elementary aged winter basketball practice. As my daughter's 3rd to 5th grade practice was about to begin, we visually survey her new teammates. At first we both were in awe at how much bigger most of the other players were than her. Her thin, 50 pound 3rd grade frame seemed to be no match to the Goliath sized 100+ pound 5th graders. How would she match up?

Then, as practice was about to begin, Coach Turner, a former high school and college basketball star who played 13 years of professional basketball, mentioned that I was going to help coach. Me? ... the closest I got to playing on a formal team is when I got cut during 7th grade try-outs. How would I match up?

Savannah and I both realized we had a choice -- either be intimidated by the situation or embrace the opportunity. We choose the later by realizing that this was a great opportunity to learn, be challenged, stretched to the limit, and grow. My daughter took on the challenge with intense focus and extreme hard work which resulted in significant improvement in just 1 hour of instruction. I was so proud of her decision to embrace the opportunity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great story. thanks for sharing! I'd love to see Savannah playing ball. You coaching now I'd love to see that also. I can attest world, Carl can't play ball!! Ha!!