Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Elevator


As the hospital elevator traveled upward to Jenni's floor, I thought about our last visit. She has been sick for quite a while now. The pneumonia in her left lung has caused her breathing difficulties and weakness. The elevator's rise reminds me of the high levels of pain she has been bearing. During that visit, she asked about the church, my kids and my wife. In the midst of her pain, she was more interested in talking about me than herself.

As I enter her spacious hospital room for today's visit, I was greeted with a warm hello. I tried to keep our conversation focused on her, but she guided our visit to questions and genuine concern for others. In the midst of her pain, her selfless character shined bright.

We ended our time with prayer and I quietly departed her room. Upon reentering the elevator, I realized that though I went to encourage and bring hope to her, it is my life that was enriched the most.

No comments: