Thursday, March 6, 2008

Bagel with Cream Cheese


I'm late! Fresh from the microwave, I hurriedly sat the hot bagel next to the cream cheese and then scurried out of the room to finish getting ready for the day. Upon returning to the kitchen minutes later, I found my bagel spread with delicious cream cheese ready to be enjoyed. Knowing I was rushed, Annette lovingly took the time to finish preparing my simple breakfast. This may seem like a small act until it be considered just how busy mornings are for her.

A stay-at-home mom, home educator of our four children, a caregiver to another two year old, and being my wife keeps her schedule overloaded with activity. Mornings are especially hectic with preparation of the classroom, feeding the family, and getting the kids ready for school.

Now, I am uncertain if I deserved this unexpected act of service, but it reminds me what Proverbs 3:27 says, "Do not withhold good from those who deserve it, when it is in your power to act." Her simple act truly blessed me that morning.

As I enjoyed my bagel, I felt privileged to have such a caring wife -- and challenged to look for small ways that I could bless others … especially her.

No comments: