Monday, March 10, 2008

Adoption


The halls were poorly marked, empty and quiet, but my guide knew exactly where he was going. As we came upon a small unimpressive waiting area, I wondered what I would discover through the next door. I entered to find the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit bustling with activity as nurses, parents, and other caregivers were about the well being, and sometimes survival of these little ones. As I passed by the monitors and "bubbles" that contained each child, I wondered about little Eli's condition.

Born five weeks early he has already faced his share of adversity. Fortunately the future is bright because of his new adoptive parents. Unexpectedly asked to take this child as their own, they eagerly volunteered. Their loving and willing sacrifice extended toward this precious infant reminded me of God's love for us. He willingly sent his son to die in order to pay the price of our adoption. Ephesians 1:5 states it well; "His unchanging plan has always been to adopt us into his own family by sending Jesus Christ to die for us." (Living Bible)

As I approached Eli's empty bed I was blessed to find him resting in his new mother's arms. The love in her eyes for her son was deep and eternal ... just like God's love for us.

No comments: