Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Biggest Loser


What an unexpected surprise. Long time friends were in town and sitting at my kitchen table. As our kids and their daughter watched the "Biggest Loser" in the living room, we enjoyed catching up. Suddenly, Elliott my 6 year old soon bolted into the kitchen with seemingly exciting news. "Dad, dad, he lost 100 pounds!" "Who", I asked. "Curtis", Elliott explained as he waved his arms with excitement.

My family and I have enjoyed watching the weight loss reality show, so I tried to remember Curtis. Elliott described him in detail until I could visualize this thinning contestant. "Oh, he is black, right?", I said with confidence. With a look of bewilderment, Elliott corrected me with a sigh, "No Dad, he is not black, he is brown."

In his description of this "brown" man, he never noticed his skin color -- only his accomplishments. My son's simple, untainted view challenged me to do the same.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good insight from your son. Our children will hopefully be "color blind" in this way.