Monday, April 28, 2008

Acorns

"Daddy, look what I got!", Elliott said with proud excitement. I peered into the bottom of his bucket and viewed my son's new found treasure -- Acorns. My brother and sister-in-laws yard had many. Elliott, my inquisitive son and Abbie, his fun-loving cousin enthusiastically took me outside to assist them in filling their yellow tin bucket. As the journey began I became "Daddy Squirrel" and Elliott and Abbie became "Brother and Sister Squirrel." Our vast hunt included the discovery of a snake hole, a slimy worm, and plenty of digging.

As our bucket brimmed to the top, I realized that the treasure was not found in the acorns, but the time spent with each other. They did not ask for my assistance in order to speed up the collection process, but rather to enjoy the hunt together.

A long-time friend has often told me, "Enjoy the journey of life". I would only add, "Enjoy the journey with someone else."

No comments: