Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Fatherhood



It is Christmas night.

Today, Annette and I had the privilege of hosting most of my family at our home for Christmas dinner. We all had an enjoyable day of opening gifts, feasting on to much great food, and spending wonderful time with each other. The day began with the reading of Christ birth from Luke 2 and ended with my children playing with their new toys. All my extended family have gone to their homes now ... my immediate family has fallen asleep ... well of course except me.

As I make this entry, I can hear the rest filled breathing of my one year old. It is part deep breathing and part snoring. I look upon his nearly bald head on to his handsome young face, and I think, "I am blessed to be a father".

Fatherhood is filled with joys & frustrations, laughter & pain, it rarely gets dull and it is never without its challenges. It is a privilege, a responsibility, and a calling. And wow; it is awesome. I would not trade it for anything.

Fathers, even with all the ups and downs it brings, I encourage you to give thanks to God with me for the honor of being called Dad.

No comments: