Thursday, December 25, 2008

Dirty Dishes

The sink seemed to always be full. It was not even supper time yet and I was enduring my second, time consuming task of washing dishes. This mundane task of scraping egg stained skillets, scrubbing pots, and rinsing off sippy cups and cereal bowls got me thinking of just how blessed I am.

I realized that I would not have all these dishes to wash if I had not been blessed with four great children and an incredible wife. Many of those dirty dishes started with a cherished family meal. The food around our table comes from that which God provides for us. But most importantly, the dirty dinnerware reminds me of the forgiveness and redemption God provides for my sinful life.

As I reflect on the birth of Jesus this Christmas, I am thankful God takes my dirty life and continually cleans it up. Cleaning up our lives is one chore God never sees as mundane. -- Merry Christmas.

No comments: