Friday, May 9, 2008

Mini Marathon - Full Speed

You could feel the excitement, the energy, the anticipation. In just a mere moments, I was about to start my fifth Indy Mini-Marathon. 13.1 miles lie ahead for me and the other 35,000 runners. The chill of this spring morning nipped at my body, but my experience told me that it would only last a short time. The air temperature would soon rise along with my body temperature as the miles would click off. It was though others didn't realize this fact. All around me were runners with long sleeve shirts, even jackets. A few had small cinch sacks filled with unnecessary supplies.

As I approached the 1 and 2 mile markers, I discovered the road to be littered with clothing. In addition, I noticed some runners tying unneeded apparel around their waste, impeding their pace. It reminds me of Hebrews 12:1 where it says; "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

The clothing littering the road reminds me of those things I have tossed away, never to hinder me again. The challenge is to untie from around me those things that still entangle me. As I do, I will run unimpeded, full speed ahead after God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize it was your 5th one. Awesome.